Monday 5 May 2008

A Beginning

I have chosen to write Golf Adept using technologies all totally new for me. I am hoping others will gain value if I record as I learn.

I am starting this blog a little late since this journey commenced late last year with some work on J2ME. Just when it was ready to port from simulator to phone, Google announced the Android Challenge. No change in direction, but a modification of priorities. January to March was porting and upgrading the J2ME system to run and look good on the more sophisticated Android platform.

I had originally decided to run the server side on Plone - and the first static site for the Challenge is on that platform. But, Google steps in again and introduces the Google App Engine. As an environment it is as I want it - and the benefits of running on the Google server over one limited server are too attractive to ignore.

So, I have spent April porting the static application to GAE before going back to getting the J2ME running again. My first technical article will be on pre-compressing static content to save on processing time.

No comments: